Sports Dispute Solutions Ireland (SDSI) is the national sports dispute solutions body in Ireland. Operated under the auspices of the Federation of Irish Sport which acts as the administrative secretariat. It provides independent arbitration and mediation services to sport in Ireland.
SDSI is now seeking an Independent Registrar for a fixed term contract role subject to review in January 2024. This is a part time service position and an hourly rate of €80 will apply. (13 hours a month)
Registrar Role Description:
Operating as a Registrar to the Secretariat of SDSI to:
- Provide ongoing support on the interpretation of the SDSI Rules;
- Carry out the initial review of cases and respond to correspondence as required;
- Provide support to the panel of Arbitrators and Mediators in dealing with cases if required;
- Co-ordinate and deliver appropriate training/ education to National Governing bodies of Sport in relation to disciplinary processes;
- Review SDSI processes and ensure effective and efficient use of resources.
In his/her dealings with the SDSI Secretariat, the Registrar shall have the following functions;
- Consider and give direction on the application of the SDSI Rules to particular dispute documentation received;
- Assess if proposed parties have standing to refer their case under the SDSI Rules;
- Ascertain if the party/ies have exhausted all the internal (dispute) procedures within the rules of their sport;
- Determine which Arbitration Procedure shall apply – Standard or Appeals Arbitration Procedure – depending upon the nature of the case;
- Ensure compliance with the SDSI Rules in particular Sections 14, 15 and 16;
- Managing the proceedings, including the preparation of case documentation for consideration by the arbitrator/mediator;
- Drafting and reviewing a range of legal texts, including substantive and procedural orders;
- To ensure that relevant conflict of interest disclosures are made by the appointed Arbitrator(s) and Mediator(s) prior to the commencement of any arbitration / mediation;
- Dealing with challenges to the appointment of Arbitrators (Section 20) and/or Mediators (Section 38);
- To give input as may be required pursuant to the Referral Facility (Part 5 SDSI Rules);
- To provide written response and direction to the SDSI secretariat within a reasonable timeline if you receive an urgent query;
- If SDSI requires an urgent response in relation to an Urgent Hearing, you will ensure a reasonable timeline for a response is given;
- To provide written direction to the SDSI secretariat when required on any of the above;
- To present at educational seminars for our members in relation to the work of SDSI.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Legally qualified – either a practicing Barrister or Solicitor with arbitration and/or litigation experience;
- Strong understanding of process and procedure around arbitration and mediation;
- Good decision maker;
- Excellent skills in organizing, prioritizing and coordinating work;
- Capacity to act independently but within the framework of the SDSI Rules and organisational structure
- Ability to communicate in a clear fashion in particular with those who are non-legally qualified;
- Flexibility – to meet the nature of the dispute and timelines which can impact sports participation;
- Service Orientation – providing timely responses to queries, requests, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success of the service;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative approach;
- Believer in ADR and willingness to act in educational role on occasion e.g., seminars / talks.
- Independence but equally able to collaborate;
- Strong communication skills;
- Decision maker;
- Solution orientated;
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge.
Administrative liaison with the Secretariat and SDSI Board.
If you would like to apply for the role, please send a high-level copy of your CV outlining your qualifications and experience, and a covering letter outlining your suitability and match to the requirements for the role.
Please submit your application electronically to:
Mary O’ Connor, CEO, Federation of Irish Sport, email@example.com with Registrar in the subject bar.
Closing date: Applications to be received no later than July 6th, 2023.